List of Descriptive Essay Topics
Of all different types of essays a student may have to write, the descriptive one is by far the easiest. They are often relaying a more personal message and do not require much research, the descriptive essay can be a great way to get your students started in the writing process. When it comes to choosing the right topic as a writing assignment for your students, the sky can be the limit.
When choosing a topic for a descriptive essay, it helps to understand what information the paper should include. Remember that the essay has to describe in detail a certain place or an experience that the writer has had to deal with. The subject of a descriptive essay can be either a person, place, object, memory, event, or an experience. Ultimately if you give your students an option it will be up to them to narrow down the endless array of choices they might have. Ideally, they will want to select a topic that will easily conjure up descriptive terminology in a way that the reader will be able to connect to.
When describing a person, the writer should not just write about the physical characteristics of the individual but also include personality quirks, sense of style, the way they talk and communicate, and their feelings in different circumstances. Consider writing about some of these people:
- Someone who means a lot to you
- A person that frightens you
- Someone you deeply respect
- A family member
- A political figure
- A favorite actor or musician
- An artist
- A neighbor
- An industry leader
- A person you rely upon
When writing about a place, the writer should include distinguishable features of the area. However, it is not enough to just write about what the place looks like, the writer should endeavor to incorporate the 5 Wâs into the paper: who, what , when, where, and why. If all of these are included, the reader will not only understand why the location was chosen but what it means to the writer. Here are a few suggestions:
- An important place
- A place that inspires you
- A historical site
- An art exhibit
- A prison cell
- The Superbowl
- The site of a natural disaster
- A strange place
- A favorite place to eat
Objects often carry with them sentimental meanings that could make it easy to describe. Again, the writer wants to answer all of the pertinent questions that the reader would have when reading the paper. The writer should endeavor to describe why the item is important to them. Does it have a negative connotation or does it bring back pleasant memories. What is the sentiment connected to it and how important it is to them. Here are a few suggestions:
- An object of personal value
- A book
- A family heirloom
- A movie
- A meal
Memories also can provide excellent descriptive subjects. Memories come in all types from a real life memory to a very vivid dream. Memories evoke many emotions that could come out in the writing process allowing them to express things they would not normally think about.
- A personal memory
- Your life in 20 years
- A lesson youâll never forget
- What do you daydream about
- Learning something for the first time
- A recent vacation
- The future
Events can sometimes overlap with memories and the fundamental descriptive prose is often the same. When youâre dealing with an event from the past, youâre also dealing with a memory. Conversely, when youâre dealing with dreams of the future youâre also dealing with hopes and dreams of today. All of these can make for extremely descriptive prose.
- A favorite holiday
- A phobia
- A life changing event
- Your first paycheck
- Winning something
- A recent vacation
- A major accomplishment
- A concert
Youâll notice that the topic chosen has to be something that is very personal to the writer. With that personal connection, the ability to write descriptively will be much easier.
As you can see, there is no end to the number of topics you can choose for a descriptive essay. Remember, it is not about facts and figures as is the case with other types of essay topics but is about what sensations the writer experiences when in that particular situation or in the presence of that individual and how he can relay those feelings to the reader.
What Is a Descriptive Essay?
A descriptive essay is a type of essay which aims at helping you illustrate something to your reader in a way that they can see, feel, or hear what you are talking about.
In this assignment, the student-writer recreates a scene, an image, or a picture of something. It requires them to describe something in a visual manner so that the reader (in most cases, one’s professor) can easily visualize it as they read.
If you are looking for descriptive essay examples here is a great one below.
DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY EXAMPLE
It is an exercise in the student-writer’s skill of using specific language, their ability to perceive, name and describe every major element of an image; the student-writer also names the many objects that comprise an image, which is a very crucial part of the writing process for a descriptive essay.
A reader should be able to read a descriptive essay and imagine the described image in its entirety. The reader should ultimately be able to see the described image as if they were looking at a painting or a photograph for the first time.
(Note: The following is a list of 50 topics that, categorized by subjects, can be used to help guide the student writing a descriptive essay. In most cases, a descriptive essay assignment is given in English composition and creative writing courses; however, there are always exceptions.) If you prefer to save your time and ensure perfect result, we suggest you to try our essay writing service in UK.
50 Descriptive Essay Topics
- A house at the base of a mountain, or near a body of water
- The inside of a picturesque restaurant, building or room
- The outside of a sprawling cathedral
- A park in the middle of the day
- One’s actual house or apartment complex
- A cemetery at midnight
- A waiting room at a doctor’s office or hospital
- One’s dream house
- A garden or a flowerbed of colorful flowers or plants or trees
- A street that is illuminated at night by the streetlights
- A beautiful (or horrid) landscape
- A place where a natural disaster has occurred
- A favorite restaurant, hangout spot or personal retreat
- A scene of an accident or crime
- A place visited as a child, teen or young adult
- An art exhibit or museum
- A school or college campus
- The neighborhood in which the student-writer grew up
- An inspiring view
- Children playing during a hot summer’s day
- A priest during a sermon or leading a prayer or invocation
- A president, political figure or leader
- A historic figure
- A celebrity
- A family member
- A best friend
- A mystical creature
- A character from a book or film or TV show
- A boss
- A professor
- A musical instrument – a trumpet, a guitar or a piano, for example – and its surroundings
- A vehicle, a car, a train, city bus
- An article of furniture
- A treasured belonging
- A plate of vibrantly colored or uniquely arranged food
- A work of art, whether a painting or abstract sculpture, etc.
- A piece of jewelry or a collection of jewelry
- A vase of flowers
- The inside of a garage or attic
- A photograph
- A bicycle, motorcycle, skateboard, surfboard, etc.
- A costume or an article of clothing
- The cover of a book, an album, a movie or DVD
- An animal, whether a domestic pet, a wild animal, or one in captivity (like a zoo or aquarium)
- A sunrise or a sunset
- The view of an ocean or beach
- A childhood memory, trip, experience, a special moment
- A wedding, funeral, party or celebration
- A memorable birthday
- A sporting event
HOW TO WRITE A DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY
In case you need help with writing your descriptive essay contact our support team and we will gladly help you. Essay writing is in our name, and believe us – our writers are best in this, they really know what they do. Descriptive essay writing rarely requires research, it’s more about training eloquence of speech of writing, and our writing experts will be able to not only meet your expectations but will exceed, providing a quality custom written piece. Just place an order and our professionals will write a winning paper fro you.