When the original quality of water deteriorates due to the contamination by foreign matter, it is called water pollution. This form of pollution can occur due torelease of toxic substances, pathogenic germs, substances which require a large quantityof oxygen to decompose, or radioactive substances which tend to accumulate andinterfere with the aquatic ecosystem.
The major sources which lead to water pollution are petroleum products, synthetic agricultural chemicals, heavy metals,hazardous wastes, excess organic matter, sediment and infectious organisms. Even, air,thermal and soil pollution lead to water pollution as well.
The effects of water pollution are varied and depend on what chemicals aredumped and in what locations.
Many bodies of water near urban areas are highly polluted. This is the result of both garbage dumped by individuals and dangerous chemicals legally or illegallydumped by industries.
The main problem caused by water pollution is that it kills life that inhabits water- based ecosystems. Dead fish, birds, dolphins, and many other animals often windup on beaches, killed by pollutants in their habitat.
Ways to Control Water Pollution
Control water pollution in your home by using non-toxic soaps, detergents andcleaning products. Refrain from the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides onyour lawn and gardens. Always dispose of paints, motor oil, gasoline, antifreezeand other harmful chemicals in accordance with your local laws and safetyregulations.
Protect groundwater, which is critical for drinking water, irrigation systems andnatural ecosystems. If you are using chemicals that may be harmful to theenvironment, store them correctly. Improperly stored chemicals can slowly seepinto the groundwater system, so keep them in tightly sealed containers, inside of structures with cement floors, to avoid groundwater contamination.
- Plastic Pollution and Measures to Control
- Csr Critical Essay
- Philippine Environment Code
- Coal-fired Power Plant
- Environmental Challenges Ghana Faces and Suggested Solutions
- Evaluation of cumulative air pollution in Riga and Liepaja with Cumulative Pollution Index method
- Man Made Disasters
- Water Pollution and Its Effects on the Environment
- Congestion and Traffic Pollution in New York City
- Water Pollution and Water Scarcity
- Air Pollution Essay
- The Major Problems with Pollutants on the Great Lakes
- A River Runs Through Us
- Air Pollution and Global Warming - Summary
- The Importance of Recycling
- Natural Gas as an Alternative Energy Resource
- Tannery Industries in the Hajaribagh Area and Its Impact on the Urban Form and Morphology
- The History of Pollution in New York City
- A World Without Cars
- Oceans in Crisis
- Pollution- A Chemical Change
- The Truth of the Air
- The Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme
- Marine Contamination and Pollution
- Major Environmental Problems in the North Eastern India: Possible Legal and Non-Legal Solutions
- Acid Rain: Causes, Effects, and Prevention
- The Case of Klity Creek in Thailand
- What is Global Warming?
- Using Titanium Dioxide as Photocatalyst to Reduce Pollution
- CO2 is NOT Pollution
- The Importance of Community Activism
- Ocean Pollution
- Global Warming and Its Effect on Our Planet
- Contamination of the Turag River
- Pollution and Its Effects on the Planet
- Pollution and Environment Essay - We Must Act Now to Solve the Problem of Overpopulation
- An Insight on Wilmington’s Water Pollution
- Marine Pollution: Causes and Solutions
- Don't Be Mean, Keep It Clean
- Renewable Vs. Non-Renewable Energy Resources
- The Water Pollution Crisis
- Air Pollution, Smog, Acid Rain, the Greenhouse Effect, and Ozone Depletion
- EPA Response
- Is Technology More Hurtful than Beneficial?
- Holding Government Responsible for Pollution in China
- Cuyahoga River
- automobile pollution
- Ecological Tourism
- Water Shortages in China: Problems and Solutions
- Environmental Law
- The Benefits of Offshore Drilling
- Air Pollution in Mexico City
- Water Pollution in the Philippines
- Essays on Vehicular Pollution
- Environmental Laws in Bangladesh
- The Benefits of the Use of the Computers in the Environment
- Drinking Water Qualty and Water Pollution
- Air and Water Pollutants
- Adapting Canada to the Future of a World With Scarce Water
- Inorganic Chemicals Cause Water Pollution
- Write an Essay on Sustainable Development in Which You: Describe the Term Sustainable Development(No More Than One Page), Discuss Any Three of the Following Problems Facing Sustainable Development: Erosion,
- The Greening of Management.
- Synthetic Biology?
- BX2091 Field Trip Report Example
- Pollution In The Backcountry - Snowmobiles in Yellowstone National Park
- Light Pollution and Sea Turtles
- Water Pollution and Drinking Water Scarcity
- Transportation and Air Pollution in the United States
- Acid Rain Pollution
- Global Business Environment Effect from Environmental Impacts
- Air Pollution in China
- Environmental Threats
- We Must Fight Against Water Pollution
- Some Ways the Enviornment Affects Human Health
- Environmental Pollution Simulation Review and Summary
- Week 2 Applied Problems
- The Unseen Death
- Pollution and the Environment
- Negative Externality Pollution
- What Are We Breathing?
- A Not so Clean World: Plastic Pollution
- Population Growth and Standard of Living
- Tax Policy in Ireland to Tackle Pollution
- The Effects of Urban Sprawl on America's Largest Cities
- Small-Scale Mining in the Philippines: a Case Study
- Air Pollution Prevention in Tehran
- IB Geography IA - How do levels of urban stress, such as noise levels and pollution, vary when moving further away from the CDB of Bandung, Indonesia?
- Should Polluters Pay For Polluting?